A Day off

"A Day off"

My day started by 4:07am when I woke up to collect my phone from Lucy. I had given it to her earlier to complete her assignment or more like to send the remainder of the assignment from my phone to hers. We were given Anatomy Assignment to submit the next day. We were both from the faculty of veterinary medicine and we met in class earlier the preeceeding eveving. I had already finished mine the day before so I was a little bit non chalant to do anything that night. I was so exhausted after spending some few hours at the market so I slept all through the night. "Lucy, Lucy." I had called softly tapping her back. She jerked up as though she had been touched by an iritating insect. She brought out my phone from her bag which she had used as a pillow. I was so appalled to see my phone at 1%. I was so upset that I can't even remember her explanations till now. I angrily went back to sleep. I slept for quite a while before it started raining. I folded myself to get warm. It was one of those Early mornings I loved- with the rain and exceptional darkness. I felt quite happy in my anger. The rain stopped at about 6:15am. I finally took my phone from Lucy and just managed to keep my cool. It was then I decided that that day would be a day off for me. I walked briskly down to my hostel, planning how I'd take care of the attendance we always sign in class on Thursdays and how I'd power my cellphone that morning. I was so lost in thoughts I didn't know when I almost passed my room. I stayed at the 'prestigious' NDDC hostel. Prestigious? It was in ruins! The rains had made everywhere disgusting, the winds had blown the roofs off, the toilets were an eyesore! But all the same we managed. I got back. As I went into my room, I didn't greet anyone. I was so upset to do so. I sat down on the plastic seat at the middle of the room and was thinking of how I'd spend my 'dayoff'. It was basically just to eat, sleep and power my cellphone and also take care of that day's class attendance. I went to my friend's room. His name was Lex. I told him the situation and taught him my signature. He promised to help. Before I could get back to my room, it was already raining. I had to squeeze myself again. It was already past 8am. I had wasted time that morning just sitting at a place. As I lay on my bed, I recalled the lecturer telling us in the last class about his impromptu test. He had said it was going to be anytime from the next lecture. I there and then decided to go but it all depended on the rain which later subsided at about 10 minutes past 9am. I had to get to the venue before 5 minutes. I had to walk as quick as possible to get there. The paths were so wet I had to be jumping and hopping around. I couldn't be any slower. I finally arrived the venue which wasn't too far from my residence in school. The lecturer hadn't even started teaching but he soon started after I walked in. It was as though he was waiting for me to arrive. He continued from the topic which we had been treating for quite a while now. Concord. "When two nouns are in a sentence and functions as the subject, acting in apposition to each other, they take a singular verb". This were his last words before we were asked to tear out sheets of paper for the test I feared for. I thanked my stars I was there. The test went on for 5 minutes. He had made it clear to us that it was because of the decline in the number of people who attend classes that he organised the test that day. Well, guess I was so lucky after all. I finally went to a place I plugged my cellphone with a token then I slept all through till evening.... The day off wasn't so bad after all. It wasn't as terrible as I anticipated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My nights in school: Sequel to an attempted Suicide episode 1

My night in school: Sequel to An attempted Suicide episode 2